What is it about Mondays many people dislike?
The dread of the week ahead, the work you don’t want to do, the people you don’t want to work with.
Perhaps it’s not the addition but the removal of the freedom the weekend represents or the lack of choice; No longer being on your own time.
How much of this is just a story we’re telling ourselves? A legacy from our conditioning at school and in the first job we hated?
How much is real and about how we work and the environments we work in?
Marcus Buckingham did some amazing work for Gallup that highlighted 12 areas that made people satisfied at work.
Here they are:
- Do you know what is expected of you?
- Do you have the equipment to do your work to the best of your ability?
- Do you have the opportunity to do what you do best every day?
- In the last 7 days have you received some recognition or praise?
- Do you believe that someone at work cares about you as a person?
- Is there someone who encourages your development?
- Do you believe that your opinions count?
- Does our mission statement make your feel like the work you do is important?
- Are your co-workers committed to doing quality work?
- Do you have a best friend at work?
- In the last 6 months have you talked to anyone about your progress?
- Do you have opportunities to learn and grow?
If you’re an employee, are you talking to your manager about these things?
If you’re a manager, what are you doing about these things?
If you are the business owner, what are you doing about these things for yourself?
Mondays represent 14.2% of your week, that’s 11 years and 4 months of your life. Now that’s a lot of life not to enjoy!
What do you need to do to own Mondays and take back your life?